You are here
There are many organizations that provide support and resources for self advocates.
Ohio Advocacy Groups and Resources
- Disability Network of Ohio - Solidarity
- Governor's Council on People with Disabilities
- Long-term Care Ombudsman Program - Ohio Department of Aging
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) of Ohio
- Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council
- Ohio Legal Services
- Ohio Self Determination Association
- Ohio Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)
- People First of Ohio
- The Arc of Ohio
- The Red Treehouse
National Advocacy Groups and Resources
- Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Alliance for Full Participation
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- An Interpreted Pictorial Presentation on the History of Human Services: The Origins of Some of Our Major Contemporary Service Patterns
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- Center for Self Determination
- Children's Defense Fund
- Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities
- Disability is Natural
- Disability Law Lowdown (videos presented in American Sign Language)
- Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund
- Families USA
- Family Voices
- Foundation for the Challenged
- Kids as Self Advocates (KASA)
- Institute on Community Integration
- Lois Curtis - Artist, Activist, Advocate (Lois is the "L.C." from the Olmstead Decision)
- Mobility International USA
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- National Campaign to Restore Civil Rights
- National Disability Rights Network
- National Consortium on Leadership and Disability for Youth (NCLD-Youth)
- National Council on Disability
- National Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health
- National Organization on Disability
- National Youth Leadership Network
- Partners in Policymaking
- Reaching for the Stars
- Steve Gold's Treasured Nuggets of Information
- The Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates
- The Equal Rights Center
- VOR (Voice of the Retarded)
- A Guide to Disability Rights Laws
A publication of the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section that provides an overview of Federal civil rights laws that ensure equal opportunity for people with disabilities.
- Advocacy Glossary
List of advocacy terms and definitions.
Comprehensive list of resources provided by the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy and other federal agencies.
- Museum of disABILITY History
Collection of resources about the history of disability in the media, medicine, and society.
- Public Policy Advocacy: A Grassroots Guide
Comprehensive guide about how to be an effective advocate.
- The Riot!
National e-Newsletter for self-advocates.
- United Nations Enable
The United Nation's Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Links updated February 2013