You are here
Ohio Legal Rights Service (LRS) Brochure
The following information is from the Legal Rights Service (LRS) brochure. You can also download a PDF version of the LRS brochure. To request paper copies, contact the LRS Intake Department. Intake hours are weekdays (except holidays) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Call 614-466-7264 or 1-800-282-9181 or TTY 614-728-2553 or TTY 1-800-858-3542.
LRS' agency brochure is also available in Spanish: Folleto de la Agencia LRS también está disponible en español
Note: To view and print PDF documents, you need to have Adobe® Reader®, a free software program, installed on your computer. Download Adobe® Reader®
Ohio Legal Rights Service
People with disabilities want the same opportunities available to everyone in the community: to live and work where they choose; to have friends; and to make decisions about their lives and their future. Yet many people with disabilities face discrimination, segregation and lack of control over even the most basic activities of everyday living.
At Ohio Legal Rights Service, we partner with people with disabilities to improve their opportunity to lead full and integrated lives in the community.
We envision a society in which people with disabilities enjoy the same rights and opportunities as all people. Everyone is entitled to make decisions about where, how and with whom they will live and work as full and equal members of their communities. Our vision guides our work, as we work to realize our vision.
Our mission is to protect and advocate, in partnership with people with disabilities, for their human, civil and legal rights.
We assist with disability rights issues such as abuse, neglect and discrimination. We advocate for people’s rights in the areas of education, housing, employment, community integration, voting, assistive technology, Medicaid and rights protection in probate, juvenile and criminal justice systems.
Phone: 614-466-7264 (local calls) or 800-282-9181 (toll-free within Ohio); TDD 614-728-2553 (local calls) or 800-858-3542 (toll-free within Ohio)
50 W. Broad Street, Suite 1400
Columbus, Ohio 43215-5923
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays and all hours by recorded message
Ohio Legal Rights Service is authorized and funded to provide services by, and produced this pamphlet with funds through, the following state and federal laws:
- Ohio Revised Code Section 5123.60;
- Developmental Disabilities Assistance Act, administered by the Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services;
- Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness (PAIMI) Act, administered by the Center for Mental Health Services of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services;
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, administered by the Office of Education Services and the Rehabilitation Services Administration, U.S. Department of Education;
- Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act, administered by the Social Security Administration;
- Help America Vote Act (HAVA), administered by the Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Ohio Legal Rights Service does not discriminate in provision of service or employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, military service, disability, or age.