Reports To: Team Leader
The Attorney provides legal advice to DRO clients, conducts legal research and prepares legal memoranda as needed, engages in individual representation and complex litigation, participates in community outreach and policy determination on disability issues.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides legal advice, consultation and research on general issues to DRO clients, receives and investigates complaints regarding civil and human rights of DRO clients and negotiates resolution, settlement and litigation of legal matters.
- Conducts legal research and prepares legal briefs, memoranda and pleadings on complex litigation on behalf of Disability Rights Ohio.
- Prepares cases for trial and independently tries cases in state and federal courts, examines witnesses, presents legal arguments and evidence and handles appeals for DRO clients.
- Reviews provider rules, programs and policies for client’s rights implications.
- Works in cooperation with other program staff, answers inquiries and provides referrals and technical assistance concerning client’s rights to government officials and the general public.
- Performs related legal and administrative work (e.g. serves subpoenas, prepares reports and maintain records, including time logs in cases where attorney fees are available).
- Confers with team leaders, administrators and other attorneys concerning difficult legal problems.
- Attends conferences and participates in continuing legal education.
- Conducts intakes as assigned.
- Writes publications and conducts public speaking to clients and related groups as assigned.
- Performs other duties as required.
Graduate of law school and admission to Ohio Bar and admitted or eligible for admission to the Northern and Southern District Courts, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com.