Depending on the details of your complaint to the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), many different documents and types of information may be helpful to include as evidence.
Beyond the basic information on your charge form, you may also want to provide:
- Names and contact information for people who can tell the investigator about what happened. This could include coworkers, supervisors and human resources employees who can provide relevant information.
- Details about other employees doing the same type of job who were treated differently.
- Witnesses who saw what happened and can give statements to support your complaint.
- People from outside the company, like a counselor from Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities, a therapist or a job coach, who worked with you and your employer.
- Proof that you have a disability. To keep your information private, do not mention details about your disability in the actual charge. Instead, share this information in separate documents.
- Proof that your employer knew about your disability.
- Copies of any termination letters, write-ups or discipline you received that is related to the claims you made in your charge.
- Copies of employee handbooks, manuals or policies, if any information in them is related to your charge.
- Copies of all requests you made for reasonable accommodations and responses from your employer. A request for reasonable accommodation does not have to use specific language and could even be verbal. Including facts about times you asked for reasonable accommodations is always helpful, even if you did not use specific words or write the request.
- Copies of your job description and any relevant performance reviews and other records of your job performance.
- Copies of postings or advertisements for a position, if you applied and did not receive the job because of your disability.
- Your notes of what happened, when it happened, who was involved and all other relevant details that help prove what you are saying is true.