Download the PDF version of this document

See this in Spanish | Somali

If you feel a landlord, condominium association or other housing provider has discriminated against you because of your disability, there are two agencies you can contact to file a complaint. A complaint filed with either agency is called a charge. You do not have to file a charge with both agencies. If you file with either agency, your housing provider will receive a copy of the charge and will be asked for their response.

Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC)

Phone: 888-278-7101
Timeframe to file: Within one year

OCRC has offices all over Ohio and can help you complete a charge form. You can also start the process of filing a charge online, and then OCRC will send it to you to sign it, have it notarized, and return it to them.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Phone: 800-669-9777
TTY: 800-927-9275
Timeframe to file: Within one year

HUD has many ways you can file a charge, including online, by email, by phone and by mail. You can find more details at

Filing in Court

Housing discrimination lawsuits can be filed within one year under Ohio law or within two years under federal law. You should consider working with an attorney because it can be difficult to pursue a lawsuit on your own. You are not required to file an administrative charge form with OCRC or HUD before filing a lawsuit.

If you wish to consult an attorney about discrimination by your housing provider, you can try to find an attorney or a local bar association referral service by contacting the Ohio State Bar Association toll free at 800-282-6556.

Make a Donation

Please give. To the best of your ability.